Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Governor of Indonesia's Central Bank: "I am shocked"

The governor of Indonesia's Central Bank (Bank Indonesia), Burhanuddin Abdullah, in a press conference said that he was shocked and sad to be officially charged of corruption related to the flow of Bank Indonesia's money to members of Parliament.

"Although I have not received the official letter, I am shocked, depressed and saddened by the news circulating right now. "

" I will proof that I am innocent". [1]

The Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) announced Monday that Burhanuddin, along with BI legal affairs director Oey Hoey Tiong and former head of BI's communication bureau Rusli Simanjuntak, were suspects in the case surrounding the misappropriation of BI funds worth Rp 31.5 billion (about US$3.38 million). [2]

[1] seputar-indonesia.com translated from bahasa Indonesia. Image from the same source.
[2] Jakarta Post